Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What's in a title ...

For my sins I have worked previously as an IT Architect. However, I've never been entirely comfortable with this title as applied to IT. To me architects design buildings and bridges and the like.

So it was quite refreshing when I had a recent conversation with one of our 'Data Architects' when he admitted that he only applied for Architect jobs because they paid better than other IT jobs he was qualified to do (i.e. Data Modeller).

Which leads me to my point. In my last job I managed a small team of Solution Designers. To all intents and purposes the role was actually that of Solution Architect, but because the department already had another team of 'Architects' (Enterprise in this case) it was decided to call us Designers. So what's the difference - same job, same job description, different title - about $300 per day - according to the recruitment agencies I dealt with.

No comments:

Post a Comment