Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The BodyShop suffle

Early in my career I remember my first ever experience in dealing with external IT consultant. My bosses boss paid a flat twelve hundred quid daily rate (a lot in 1992) for they guy to fly up to our office sit in meetings for 6 hours and provide some quidance to a specific performance issue that we were having with their software at a client site. The said consultant was experienced, eloquent, convincing and as it turned out dead wrong in his analysis and diagnosis of the problem. Of course our advice was ignored cos it didn't cost 1200 smackers.

So a number of years later when I joined a large professional services company I asked myself whether I thought I was good enough, would clients really pay exhorbitent rates for my advice and counsel. As it turns out the answer was yes and I had a good and successful stint. But at least I asked myself the question.

Over the last 10 years I've dealt with many consultants. I don't think many ask that question anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment