Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Calling Mr Ford, again!

In the past I’ve made mention of my admiration for what Henry Ford did for manufacturing with the introduction of the production line. I’ve long been convinced that this sort of rationalisation of IT is overdue.

My question today is about infrastructure, hardware and software environments. An inordinate amount of time goes into the design, build and maintenance of these environments. Virtualisation, in theory should make this process easier but as always technology cannot fix what is essentially not a technology issues.

When I worked for a large investment bank they had a novel approach to this. They would size the production server and then buy six identical servers. These identically built boxes would cover the DEV, TEST, UAT, PROD, Failover and DR servers. This was an elegant but expensive solution to the problem.

My question today is why we cannot do something automatic with server offerings like Oracle Exadata. If you’re listening Larry why don’t you offer me a box where I enter some simple performance and sizing metrics, install a single pilot environment and then flick a switch and have my 3/4/5 or six identical environments built.

Come to think of it automated version control software migration would be nice. Now I am really dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment